Millions of people grieve over tooth loss, in spite of the advances in dental care. The major causes are due to tooth decay, periodontal disease, or injury. For many years, bridges and dentures were the only treatment options existing for people with missing teeth but now dental implants are available.
Let’s talk about the future of Dentistry in this article…!
What exactly is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a surgical part that connects with the bone of the jaw or skull to support a dental prosthesis like, crown, bridge and/or a denture. The material used in implants is Titanium which is the only metal biocompatible with our body. The implant once inserted undergoes a process known as osseointegration i.e. the implant fuses with the bone. A variable amount of time is required for the osseointegration to heal before a dental prosthesis can be added. A typical conventional implant consists of a titanium screw (resembling a tooth root) with a roughened or smooth surface. The majority of dental implants are made of commercially pure titanium.
Planning for dental implants focuses on the general health condition of the patient, the local health condition of the mucous membranes and the jaws and the shape, size, and position of the bones of the jaws, adjacent and opposing teeth. There are few health conditions that absolutely preclude placing implants although there are certain conditions that can increase the risk of failure. The long-term success of implants is determined, in part, by the forces they have to support. As implants have no periodontal ligament, there is no sensation of pressure when biting so the forces created are higher. To offset this, the location of implants must distribute forces evenly across the prosthetics they support. The fusing of implant and bone can support physical loads for decades without failure.
At Ideal Dental Care the success rate of Dental Implants is 99%.
Advantages of Dental Implants:
- Improved Presence: Dental implants appear and feel like your own teeth.
- Improved speech: With poor-fitting dentures, the teeth can slip within the mouth causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Improved comfort: Implants become a part of you, implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Easier eating: Sliding dentures can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favourite foods with confidence and without pain.
- Improved self-esteem: Dental implants can give you back your smile and help you feel better about yourself.
- Improved Oral Health: Dental implants do not require reducing other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does as nearby teeth are not altered to support the implant, improving long-term oral health. Individual implants also allow easier access between teeth, improving oral hygiene.
- Durability: Implants are very durable and will last many years. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
- Convenience: Removable dentures are just that; removable. Dental implants eliminate the embarrassing inconvenience of removing dentures, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.
You can have any number of teeth replaced with implants – from one single tooth to a complete set. Implants are a safe, well-established treatment. It’s probably true to say that implants, much like natural teeth, will last for as long as you care for them. At Ideal Dental Care we provide affordable & painless dental implant treatment.
Leave a Reply