What is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is an inflammation of the gums that can progress to affect the bone that surrounds and supports your teeth. It is caused by the bacteria in plaque, a sticky colorless film that constantly forms on your teeth. If not removed through daily brushing and flossing, plaque can build up and the bacteria infect not only your gums and teeth but eventually the gum tissue and bone that support the teeth. This can cause the tooth to become loose, fall out, or have to be removed by a dentist.
How do you know if you have a gum disease?
- Bad breath that won’t go away.
- Red or swollen gums.
- Tender or bleeding gums.
- Painful chewing.
- Loose teeth.
- Sensitive teeth.
- Receding gums or longer appearing teeth
- An abscess (pus oozing from the gums)
How do you keep your teeth healthy and strong?
- Brush twice a day
- Use fluoridated toothpaste
- Floss your teeth daily
- Limit sugary foods and acidic drinks
- Protect your teeth from injury
Treatments offered at Idel Dental
- Deep scaling and root planing
- Painless Laser curettage and flap surgeries
All procedures are carried out by the periodontist (Gum specialist) in conjunction with a restorative dentist to achieve ideal functional as well as esthetic results