An immediate dental implant is a dental implant that is placed in the jawbone immediately after a tooth extraction. It is usually placed at the same visit as the dental extraction but it can be done within two weeks after the tooth extraction and still be considered an immediate dental implant. If a crown or dental bridge is placed on an immediate dental implant to restore the tooth, this is considered immediate loading. Immediate loading of an immediate dental implant is the most favourable option for any patient.
Benefits of immediate placement of dental implant:
- You’ll only need to go through a dental surgery once: there is no need to schedule another dental surgery for the placement of dental implant after the extraction.
- You’ll save resources: the lesser the number of surgeries required, the lesser it would cost.
- You’ll save time: after an immediate placement of dental implant is done, a temporary crown (if required) is fixed on the same appointment and the final crown can be placed in 3 months.
- You need not worry about walking around with a missing tooth in your smile: as mentioned in the point above, if it is your front tooth that requires an extraction and placing of the implant immediately, a temporary crown can be fixed and you can have a complete smile once again.
- You’re preserving your bone and gums: immediate placement of dental implant would preserve the width and height of the alveolar bone, allowing the integration of the dental implant and the bone to be more favourable. As the bone is preserved, this would prevent gum recession as well.